Volunteering at Literacy Victoria
Volunteers are the heart of Literacy Victoria. Without them, we would not be able to deliver our free programs and support our learners.
Most of our volunteers help in one of our programs, working one-to-one or in group sessions with an adult learner or learners. We ask for a minimum commitment of six months, although many of our volunteers have been with us for several years. Orientation, training and ongoing support are provided by Literacy Victoria for all volunteers.
As a volunteer tutor, you help learners to:
- strengthen reading, writing, spelling, math, computer or essential workplace skills;
- use new learning tools;
- develop self-esteem and confidence;
- achieve personal goals
There are many ways to volunteer at Literacy Victoria. You may:
- provide one-to-one or group learner support as part of the Learner's Network program
- work in Outreach teams at community organizations
- assist in the Literacy Victoria computer lab, library or office
- assist at special events
- provide policy guidance and governance as a Board Member